Applying mascara is one of the essential steps of makeup. Using mascaras enhances your eyelashes and completes the look by highlighting your eyes! Whoever said that giving the right thickness and volume to your lashes is the most challenging part forgot about the removal process.
Mascaras, specifically waterproof mascaras, can act stubbornly and do not come off quickly. The most straightforward answer to this question would be using a makeup remover. However, if you do not want to use one or are out of makeup removers and are stuck with the question- ‘how to get mascara off without makeup remover?’ this article is here for your rescue!
How To Get Mascara Off Without Makeup Remover?
The process of removing mascara becomes quite irritable. Since they are a mixture of oils, waxes, and pigments, it can get hard to take them off. Sometimes you even tend to lose some lashes during the removal process. Though there are various branded makeup removers, several people still opt for other alternatives. Below are some ways to remove your mascara without using a makeup remover.
Baby shampoos are hypoallergenic, meaning they do not cause allergies if used. Since the eye area is sensitive, you can safely use baby shampoo to remove your mascara.
- Take a damp cotton pad and squeeze a pea-sized baby shampoo on it.
- Rub the cotton pad on your eyelashes in a circular motion.
- Don’t be too harsh while rubbing, as you can damage your lashes.
- Keep rubbing until no residue is left, and then throw away the cotton pad.
Make sure you use baby shampoo and not regular one!
Vaseline or petroleum jelly is sometimes considered one of the best alternatives to makeup remover. Since it is a petroleum-based product, it works gently and dissolves not just your regular mascaras but any makeup on your skin.
- Take a cotton swab and dab it into Vaseline.
- Sweep it on your eyelashes, and do not be harsh.
- The petroleum will dissolve and break down the product. Hence wipe off all the excess.
- After applying Vaseline, your face becomes a little sticky because of Vaseline’s texture. Hence take a tissue or a dry cloth and wipe your face.
Yes, you may find it absurd, but milk and milk-based products have effectively removed makeup. Raw milk acts as a cleansing agent, and as it contains lactic acid, it will help in the exfoliation of the skin. It does not work harshly on your skin and is super gentle.
- Take a cotton ball/pad and soak it in raw or whole milk.
- Swipe the cotton ball/pad across your eye area.
- Continue wiping off the mascara gently, and then rinse your face with water to remove the milk or yogurt left on your skin while getting rid of the mascara.
Cold creams have been used for various purposes, such as moisturizing, cleansing, foundation primer, etc. Recently, cold creams have been used as great makeup removers. The eclectic mixture of ingredients that cold creams are made of works well to remove makeup and gives some calmness to the skin.
- You can use your fingers directly or take a cotton swab and apply a small amount of cold cream.
- While keeping your eyes closed, rub the cold cream over your lashes.
- After removing the excess, you can wipe away the left-out cream or wash your face and dry it with a towel.
How To Get Waterproof Mascara Off Without Makeup Remover?
Though mascaras act a little tricky while removing, waterproof mascaras are too stubborn. They are waterproof and only come off slowly if you use direct water. If none of those methods mentioned above work for waterproof mascaras, below are some more brutal ways to get rid of waterproof mascaras specifically.
This magic ingredient is used in various fields, cooking, or beauty routines. It can quickly get rid of waterproof mascaras, and the icing on the cake works excellently to enhance your lash growth.
- Grab a cotton pad and apply some coconut oil to it.
- Close your eyes and rub the cotton pad along your lash line. Keeping your eyes open will let the oil get into your eyes and cause burning sensations.
- After removing the excess product, rinse your face with lukewarm water.
Olive oil also works similarly to coconut oil and can be used as an alternative. It works by breaking down the product and then hydrates your lashes.
- You can use your fingers or a cotton pad. Pour some olive oil and rub it on your fingers.
- Then with your fingers, rub your lashes until the mascara starts coming off.
- Once you remove the entire product, wipe off the excess olive oil with a dry cloth, and you can continue with your skincare routine.
Just as enthusiastically we apply our makeup, we should maintain the same enthusiasm to get it off before going to bed. Mascaras can be messy, and thus, they can also stain your clothes. You wouldn’t want all these mixtures of chemicals residing on your skin all day and all night long! Taking care of your skin should be your priority.
Makeup removers are super handy and do their jobs straight away. But sometimes, people like to go with home ingredients and get their makeup off. Hence, be it this way or the other, make sure you get your makeup off your skin in any way! Also, do not forget to do patch tests when trying new ingredients or products!
A mother who looks after her family and writes for publications in her spare time.